‘Wait’ is One of the Most Important Commands You Can Teach Your Dog
Old-fashioned coaching (the type I grew up with) was principally “don’t do stuff” – as in “Sit, Stay, Behave!” – the place “Behave” meant “Don’t do something.” As a power free coach, I like that now we deal with coaching canine to do fairly than don’t-do. Today, for our canine, “Behave” means “Do a behavior.” Ironic, then, that certainly one of my most-used, and most helpful cues, is “Wait!”
In my canine’ world, “Stay” means “Stay in the exact position I left you in until I release you,” whereas “Wait” means “Pause for a bit.” I do nonetheless generally give a launch with Wait, nevertheless it’s far much less formal than a Stay.
I exploit Wait a number of instances a day. It’s actually a life-saver. “Wait” after I open the automobile door so that you don’t soar out into visitors. “Wait” on the door whereas I stroll out – you’re not coming this time. “Wait” on the high of the steps whereas I’m going first so that you don’t journey me, inflicting me to fall. “Wait” whereas we’re climbing and you notice a deer or rabbit, so that you pause and I can name you again to me and also you don’t get misplaced chasing prey off into the woods.
It’s simple to show your canine to attend. Here’s how:
Wait for the Food Bowl
- With your canine sitting, going through you, maintain her bowl at chest stage (with meals in it, topped with tasty treats!) and say “Wait.”
- Lower the meals bowl towards the ground two inches. If your canine stays sitting, click on your clicker (or use a verbal marker) increase the bowl again up once more, and feed her a deal with from the bowl. If she will get up, say “Oops” and ask her to take a seat once more. If she stays in place, decrease the bowl two inches once more, mark (click on), increase the bowl, and deal with.
- Repeat this step a number of instances till she persistently stays sitting as you decrease the bowl. Mark and deal with every time.
- Gradually transfer the bowl nearer to the ground with succeeding repetitions till you may place it on the ground two ft away from her and decide it again up with out her getting up or making an attempt to eat it.
- Finally, place the bowl on the ground and say a launch cue like “Free!” to inform her to eat.
A very useful factor about instructing this conduct is that you’ve at the very least one built-in day by day coaching session (probably two, since many people feed our canine twice a day).
Wait on the Door
When your canine is stable with Wait at her bowl, you’re able to generalize the conduct. The subsequent simple place to follow Wait is on the door. Start along with your canine sitting or standing – whichever you like. (I want Sit.)
- Say “Wait” in a cheerful tone of voice. Begin to open the door simply barely. If your canine begins to exit, say, “Oops!” and shut the door (be certain she gained’t get caught by the door!). Say “Wait” and take a look at opening the door once more. If she stays in place, shut the door mark and launch. Repeat a number of instances.
- When your canine persistently doesn’t transfer for a tiny crack-in-the-door opening, regularly open it wider with every trial, a little bit bit at a time. Mark and deal with every time, however generally repeat one other Wait with out releasing.
- Practice cueing your canine to Wait, and opening the door till you may open it fully and she or he stays in place. Once she’s in a position to Wait persistently with the door huge open, take one step out. Return, shut the door, mark and launch.
- Gradually enhance the time the door is open whereas your canine continues to be ready. Sometimes step out and return, generally stroll out and invite her to return with you, generally stroll out and shut the door leaving her inside (this can be an auto-release cue).
- Practice Wait each time you head out, even when she’s going to return with you. Consistency is the important thing to serving to your canine study shortly!
Wait on a Walk
To generalize additional, follow along with your canine on leash. As you’re strolling, say, “Wait,” take a couple of extra sluggish steps and cease. If your canine stops, mark and deal with, and proceed strolling. If your canine continues shifting after you cease, let her stroll on. When she stops on the finish of the leash, mark and deal with, and stroll on. She ought to shortly study to cease once you say “Wait.”
Now, don’t wait – go prepare your canine!
Read Next: How to Train A Dog to Stay